Monday, July 25, 2011

In Xalapa

So I arrived to Vera Cruz last night and was reminded how advanced we are back home when the airplane stopped mid tarmac and we disembarked down a narrow ladder straight outside.  Some of the luggage was at the foot of the stairs for people to pick up... then we came in and there was a sparse area where Immigration was at.  it was only the people from our flight. Then the rest of the luggage was sent in through the conveyer belt.
The worst part was that when i finally made my way to the receiving area, there was no one there to greet me! I figured I might not know it if the guy would be there since i did not know who he was (name or face) just that he was the pastor of the church here.  The automatic sliding doors leading outside are the kind that do not allow for you to go back inside after you go through and they close. There was a sweltering heat and I didn't know how long it would be so as someone came out I snuk back in.  I had turned off my phone so as to not incur the extra roaming charges for using it this side of the boarder, but I had to find out what happened and so i turned it on.  Instantly I noticed two things, I had an e-mail from one of my contacts here and my phone was almost dead.  The e-mail said that the pastor (Antonio Diaz) was running late due to an accident on the road there and the road was closed. 
I felt better and just sat down to wait.  I looked around and saw that there was a grand total of 5 shops in that terminal/gate, and they were all closed....except the bar. No joke.
Anyway, they found me after not too long and we were off. The trip into Xalapa was pretty lengthy and we had time to get to know each other and we had a good time. Very nice and respectful people. I have always had such a welcome experience here. This is my second time coming here and I know this wont be any different.
The streets and houses here remind me so much of Italy. One right beside the others (like they share a wall) and the streets narrow and without lane lines! Needless to say, the driving here is precarious at best and everyone seems to have standard cars (as opposed to automatic) so the ride is fast, dangerous, swerving and jerky!  And you know how much I LOVE those kinds of rides.  But I made it through without getting car sick. (so far!)
Now I'm here at the school where we will be holding all the meetings.  It is at the top of multiple steep and winding roads that over looks the next mountain side where you can see green trees interspersed with houses and buildings....very quaint and peaceful.
Wish I had my camera but I didn't think to bring it. (among the things I forgot)
The weather is certainly an improvement! A nice breeze and about 70 I think now. Real nice. The doors are open and there is no AC and it feels very comfortable.

I will post more later. In the middle of Bishop Benjamin Cardenas right now. :o)
Lord willing we will be able to cement more of our goals and objectives for this project.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment